African Savannah Monitor
Scientific Name Varanus exanthematicus albigularis
Native To Western and Central Africa
Habitat Savannahs and arid regions (rocky deserts, open forests and woodlands). The typically reside in burrows and hollow trees
Diet arthropods, ground dwelling birds, small mammals, reptiles, eggs and carion,
Size and Age 85-100 cm (but can reach up to 130 cm)
- Thick, stocky lizard with a wide head, short neck and tail.
- The tail tapers and is marked by brown/yellow rings
- Typically grey to light yellow
- Head has often light yellow markings
- Symmetrical rows of circular, dark edged yellow spots across the animal's back
- The belly and the inside of the limbs is yellowish-grey or gray to brown in color.
- The tongue is forked and blue